Today we are pleased to announce that Vlingo InCar is available to all Android users. Following the limited release of InCar two week ago, Vlingo saw an unprecedented grassroots response from its customers requesting InCar on Vlingo’sFacebookpage. In just one week over 600 people from unsupported carriers left comments asking for InCar to be made available to them. Here’s a sampling of those anonymous requests:
- Need, need, need. But need it on my VERIZON HTC Incredible. Please?
- I won’t eat or sleep until you release this on Verizon. Well…that’s not true. Would it help if I said “pretty please?” Alright. Fine. PRETTY PLEASE!!!
- This app would certainly be well received by T-Mobile customers using Droid technology. The use of Vlingo as an added safety precaution should be mandatory for ALL, eventually becoming an industry standard. THINK OF IT AS A CELLULAR SEATBELT !!!
- I love Vlingo. This would make it even better…AND safer. AT&T needs to add this to their app store.
- Voice-driven, hands free initiation – Vlingo enters listening mode upon Bluetooth® connectivity
- Voice driven, hands free initiation using a “wake up word”
- Conversational user guidance instead of a touch screen
- Ability to send and respond to messages, make calls and get directions using only voice commands
Vlingo also launched a new feature called “Vlingo Answers”. Users simply speak to ask a question, in any form, and have the answer read to them, out loud, immediately. Vlingo’s data currently shows that the most commonly asked question asked to date is “How many feet in a mile?” The answer: 1mile = 5280 feet.
In addition to Vlingo Answers and InCar, Vlingo can power most tasks on AndroidTMdevices. Users can simply press the “Vlingo widget” to:
- Send text and email messages
- Search the web using Google or Yahoo!
- Update Facebook and Twitter status
- Open built-in and 3rd party applications
- Speak into any application with the Vlingo Everywhere voice keyboard
- SafeReader – hear incoming text & email messages while you drive
- SuperDialer – one-click calling to an infinite address book, and reviews, maps and directions for any business.
- Foursquare – check in, connect with friends, or shout out an update on foursquare.
Today’s release also includes include several enhancements:
- Bluetooth headset support for Vlingo and Vlingo InCar beta on AndroidTM2.2 (Froyo)
- New “Vlingo Control” widget with a SafeReader skip control
- Bug fixes and performance improvements
Availability, Compatibility and Price
Vlingo is available free of charge for Android 2.1, and above. Note Vlingo InCar beta is optimized for Android 2.2 devices. Users worldwide can find and download Vlingo on device from the featured section of Android Market. Note Vlingo is optimized for US English only. Click here to see Vlingo InCar in action.
In response to the great grassroots interest InCar generated, Vlingo’s opening its digital doors so you can tell us how Vlingo makes your life safer. Submit a video through Vlingo’s Facebook Page for a chance to win several great prizes. The winner will also be featured as part of a blog post!
Vlingo plans to roll out this functionality to other Vlingo supported platforms in a future release.